Col. Roy V. Walton is the vice commander for the 103rd Airlift Wing, Connecticut Air National Guard, located at Bradley Air National Guard Base, East Granby, Connecticut. He shares responsibility with the wing commander for the operational readiness of the wing and in leading the nearly 1,200 members that make up its operational and support units as well as its geographically-separated unit, the 103rd Air Control Squadron located in Orange, Connecticut.
Col. Walton joined the Connecticut Air National Guard in 1984 and received his commission in 1990 through the Academy of Military Science as a logistics planner. Prior to receiving his commission, Col. Walton served as an enlisted member of the 103rd Resource Management Squadron, Connecticut ANG. Col. Walton is a decorated combat veteran with numerous deployments to the Balkan and Southwest Asia areas of operation. After deploying in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM, he was selected for a full-time position in Connecticut’s Joint Force Headquarters and served as the director of military support, participating in numerous Defense Support to Civil Authorities responses and exercises to include Ardent Sentry 05 and Top Officials Exercise 2004.
Col. Walton has been instrumental in guiding the 103rd Airlift Wing through many contingency deployments and in supporting the wing in the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure actions, the wing’s conversion to the C-21, and served as the conversion officer when the 103rd converted to C-130H aircraft. He also attended the Joint Domestic Operations Course and is one of two qualified dual status commanders for the state of Connecticut.
1997 Charter Oak College, Bachelor of Science, Business Management, New Britain, Conn.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2008 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, by correspondence
2010 Air War College, by correspondence
2012 Joint Domestic Operations Course
2013 Dual Status Commander Qualification Program
1. February 1990 – December 1994, Logistics Plans Officer, Bradley ANG Base, Conn.
2. December 1994 – December 1997, 103rd Communications Flight Commander, Bradley ANG Base, Conn.
3. December 1997 – November 1999, 103rd Security Forces Squadron Commander, Bradley ANG Base, Conn.
4. November 1999 – November 2003, 103rd Maintenance Group Executive Officer, Bradley ANG Base, Conn.
5. November 2003 – June 2004, 103rd Maintenance Operations Flight Commander, Bradley ANG Base, Conn.
6. June 2004 – June 2005, Logistics Plans Officer, Joint Force Headquarters, Hartford, Conn.
7. June 2005 – April 2008, Director of Military Support, Joint Force Headquarters, Hartford, Conn.
8. April 2008 – May 2011, Deputy Commander, 103rd Mission Support Group, Bradley ANG Base, Conn.
9. May 2011 – January 2016, Commander, 103rd Mission Support Group, Bradley ANG Base, Conn.
10. January 2016 – Present, Vice Commander, 103rd Airlift Wing, Bradley ANG Base, Conn.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with bronze oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor device and three bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with bronze oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal with bronze star
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service with silver and two bronze oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with three 'M' devices and silver hourglass
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
National Guard Association of the United States
National Guard Association of Connecticut
Three Year Trustee, Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3272
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, February 1990
First Lieutenant, March 1992
Captain, June 1994
Major, June 2001
Lieutenant Colonel, January 2006
Colonel, October 2011
(Current as of March 2016)